Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How do you stick with healthy habits?

Posted 10-25-2022 11:30
    Admittedly, I tend to "select-all, delete" most newsletters that come to my inbox, but this one caught my eye today: Understand These Five Behaviors That Can Prevent Sticking With Healthy Habits

They boil it down to: 
    1. Overlooking context (having one-size fits all mentality)
    2. Choice overload
    3. Incremental (slow) progress
    4. Relapse 
    5. Poor goal setting 
    These all make a ton of sense, and have all been barriers at different points of my life. I think the most challenging barrier for me right now though is finding a schedule that works everything in that I want to fit into the day/week/month. I feel like I'm always "missing" something (like enough sleep, or time to journal, or work out, prepping healthy meals). 

Anyone have any advice on creating a schedule with multiple priorities?

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 2.  RE: How do you stick with healthy habits?

Posted 10-25-2022 11:53
    @Quinn Drew--yes! I've been doing a lot of reading and "study" about this in the past few months. I think the #1 thing that has helped me to is to admit that I just can't do it all. There are too many cool things in life and I have a gazillion interests and well-meaning intentions, but I've finally come to know that it's truly impossible to do it all.

I've followed the advice to pick the top 3-5 things that matter. That's it. Work on those. Only.

When something is accomplished, or I've truly lost interest in one of them, or it's become a part of who I am and I have room for something new, then I can cross off one thing and add another.

I've learned to stop adding without taking something out.

I think this fits with "choice overload" above.

I think it also goes along with "poor goal setting." If you've only got three things you're focusing on, they need to be SMART: specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound.

And I need to remind myself daily, several times a day, I just can't do it all!​​

Maria Liccardo
    Evanston

• 3.  RE: How do you stick with healthy habits?

Posted 10-26-2022 07:50
    The key word is "choice".
    You must decide for yourself which items are a priority, and then commit just to those items. Once you have those couple of items cemented then add another. You will quickly find out how and when things happen as you desire them. We too often live our lives looking out the rearview mirror instead of having our focus on what is in front of us. I hear often in my head a phrase taught to me, "Behavior Never Lies". Chose for you and not for others.
    Live from the inside out and not from the outside in.

Have a blessed day.
    "Have a Great Day or Create One"

Rev. Jim Klynman
    Woodstock Ga.