Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tell Me Something Good

Posted 07-08-2022 09:50

Phew, what a week, huh? 
    I don't know about y'all, but I could use some good news. So let's hear it - what's good with you, or near you? Something good you've heard about, or something you're looking forward to?

I'm heading on vacation towards the end of next week and I'm really looking forward to it. I've got some breweries, beaches, and biking planned - and those are some of my happiest places/spaces.

Whatchy'all got for me?

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 2.  RE: Tell Me Something Good

Posted 07-08-2022 10:07
    Happy Friday, everyone! I had dinner last night with one of my dearest friends, whose mom passed away about a month ago. That doesn't sound like "something good" on the face of it, but her mom had been declining with Alzheimer's for the past 3 years, and it was heartbreaking to witness. My friend was with her mom at the time of death and she said it was a wonderful release and very peaceful. I was so happy for her, to have the gift of saying goodbye and a sense of peace for the whole family. 

Also, my friend is a complete jokester and has performed in sketch comedy for several years...and her humor doesn't stop for anything! When the priest was giving a final blessing over her mom with the family present, his cell phone rang. My friend looked up at the priest and said, "Is that Jesus?!?" Her whole family dissolved into laughter along with the priest, and she knew her mom would approve of the family laughing together again!

Maria Liccardo
    Evanston

• 3.  RE: Tell Me Something Good

Posted 07-11-2022 09:14
    @Maria Liccardo, that's a funny and touching story! It's gratifying to know that humor can lessen tensions and laughter can remind us that we're all in this together. 

On June 30, I returned from an incredible 2-week trip to Italy with family. Although at this point I can't "look forward" to the trip, I am looking "backward" to it, dipping into the stores of energy, inspiration and happiness that the trip provided. I don't think I've ever really believed that vacations restored me; I mean, I never feel that different when I return from a trip. However, this time, I do have a different outlook and I do feel refreshed and inspired.  I'll be looking backward on our trip for a while now, luxuriating in the memories and experiences, and thinking more about how vacations can change my mindset.     ​​

Maria Mooshil

• 4.  RE: Tell Me Something Good

Posted 07-11-2022 09:23
    @Maria Mooshil - I love the idea of "looking backward" to dip into the energy and inspriation of the trip! ​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 5.  RE: Tell Me Something Good

Posted 07-11-2022 09:34
    @Maria Mooshil, I agree that I usually don't feel "refreshed" after vacation...mostly  just overwhelmed with laundry, groceries, and catching up on a zillion work emails! But I had a different experience ​this summer, like you did. I went for a week-long vacation with 31 members of my extended family to a giant duplex on the ocean. There was so much love and laughter all week, I came back with a fresh perspective on what's really important, and not to sweat the small stuff.

I've heard the saying, "Look back, but don't stare" at the past, and your description of dipping into the past and thinking about how those two weeks in Italy restored you is a perfect example--thanks for sharing!

Maria Liccardo
    Evanston

• 6.  RE: Tell Me Something Good

Posted 07-12-2022 08:08
    Tell me something good...   I sat on this for a couple days, and then got sad that it was so hard to think of something so good to share.    But, I as I sat with this and thought why it is so hard to share something good, I started to reflect on why and what was I looking to share.   I realized I was looking for a great story or grand adventure to share, when there is good everyday that I need to be better at appreciating.   Every morning I wake to fun silly texts with a great friend -- that starts my morning with a smile, even before my favorite beverage of coffee (a must have!).  I have three of the cutest munchkin cats that make smile and feel so loved every day. I have a wonderful husband that makes me smile every day he comes home, and we choose each other daily, even on the bad days.  I love that I get to work from home, and answer questions like these, when I should be prepping for a leadership meeting (don't tell!), and I get to work with students and live my passion through my job.   I have a fridge full of food, a wine bottle waiting for after work, phone calls with my granny, 13 nieces and nephews, a shelf full of books I want to read -- Good things are around me daily - Thank you Quinn for the reminder to stop and look around for them.   Make it a great day, friends!

Mandi Ginn-Franz

• 7.  RE: Tell Me Something Good

Posted 07-12-2022 08:34
    @Mandi Ginn-Franz, I have several of these good things in common with you...thanks so much for pointing them out! What a great way to start my day!​

Maria Liccardo
    Evanston

• 8.  RE: Tell Me Something Good

Posted 07-12-2022 09:54
    Haha, @Mandi Ginn-Franz, your secret is safe with me (us)... and also, I hope the leadership meeting went well.

Thanks for sharing the good things, and for the reminder to look for the "smaller" moments as good things, too! I went for a jog this morning, met up with my partner for coffee, and the timing for the bus home could not have been more perfect (it was pulling up to the stop just as I was walking up to it!) How often does that happen? Almost never!

Here's to a Tuesday with at least a few "good" (maybe even "great"???) moments for each of us. :) ​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn