Professional Development Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What words have you invented?

Posted 07-08-2022 14:15
    I was reading through the Learning Network newsletter (a great, free product of the New York Times) this morning and loved this quick read: 24 New Words Invented by Teenagers

In addition to the winner, (oblivionaire (noun) A billionaire who chooses to be blind to the disparity and inequality that his or her wealth is creating), I love these: 
    • heartdown (noun) A period when, after being hurt or betrayed, your heart is recovering and you are reluctant to let others get close to you.
    • fsh (noun): A joke that has been overused and therefore is not funny to anyone who has heard it before
    • nonexiwort (noun): The words left unsaid; thoughts that exist in our minds but are never developed into words said out loud.
    • mnemonty (noun) The feeling of knowing, while you are still in the moment, that something occurring will be remembered forever.

It got me thinking of the words I use - not all made up - but in different contexts than their regular/dictionary meanings. For instance, I use: 
    • pumpkin: to describe the weather on particularly humid days. It comes from running with my friend @Nick Kapling, who swears she'll turn into a pumpkin (like Cinderella) if she runs too late in the day, especially on hot and humid days 
    • depenje: used as a synoym for "it depends" as in, "that's a little depenje." 

There are also a few I use in work contexts specifically, but of course I'm blanking on them at the moment. 
    What about y'all? 

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 2.  RE: What words have you invented?

Posted 07-11-2022 08:47
    A good word in the Searight house is "Nervouscited." My almost 11-year-old daughter invented it one year on the first day of school. We asked her how she was feeling, and she said. "Nervous-- well, excited." And we all-- all four of us-- said at the same time "Nervouscited?!" And it's become a go-to ever since :) I also really love the word "Jamoke" but I can't take credit for that. But using it often brings a giggle and helps us find the funny in some frustrating interactions.

Lee Ann Searight

• 3.  RE: What words have you invented?

Posted 07-13-2022 08:24
    I use "autocarrot" as a play on the changes that autocorrect makes to my messages.
    I say "grumpity" when I am feeling a bit disgruntled but not-quite-all-the-way-grumpy.
    And I've adopted a topical one that my gentleman's daughter coined, which is that when she gets in the car she asks for the "handsitizer."

Amy Finkelstein

• 4.  RE: What words have you invented?

Posted 07-13-2022 15:37
    @Amy Finkelstein, these are SO good! Thank you for sharing!

As a cat lover, I am one to insert "mew" or "meown" into words as much as possible. And no, I'm not talking about emphasizing it when it's already there (like homeowner) ​. Like, commewnity. Or Roberts Mewls of Order. "Me mew" instead of "me too, or "mew, too?" instead of "you, too." It's become such habit that I've lost count of the number of times I've had to re-write emails to colleagues to un-mew a word or two (a word or mew) in it. 

Happy Wednesday, friends.

Stay awesome,
    Quinn