Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Where Do We Tweet From Here?

Posted 01-06-2023 10:10
    I've been taking stock of my social media usage (mostly because I need to put my phone down) thanks to the beginning of 2023.

This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but out of all the social media platforms, Twitter is, well, was, my absolute favorite because it's a constant barrage of news and current events. With Elon Musk's disastrous Twitter takeover well underway at this point, the platform has certainly changed a lot --- none of it for the better. While I'm still a Twitter user (for now), I've been thinking about deleting my account and joining the mass exodus to Mastodon or Post.

As someone with experience managing social media, the changes to Twitter also got me thinking about how we use social media in our daily lives - to connect, promote, and share - and how changes to platforms require us to move away from the channels we once enjoyed. Twitter is changing and possibly heading offline if they can't pay the bills, TikTok is king, Instagram is incentivizing video content, and Facebook is still the place where you can see people's grandkids performing in their winter recital. 

Connect community, if you're a regular user, are you tempted to flee Twitter for greener pastures?

How has using social media changed for you over the years? Do you use social media personally, professionally, or both?

Drop your replies!

------------------------------
    Taylor Evans Ghosal
    Evanston IL

• 2.  RE: Where Do We Tweet From Here?

Posted 01-07-2023 10:00
    Social Media use can be both a blessing and a curse.
    One of the sad parts for me is when personal political opinions are exposed.
    Whether you like Twitter or do not like the changes with the new owner or not is a personal view and not one that should be exposed on this Rotary Connect platform, in my opinion this is a political statement. Remember there are those that may feel different. TikTok and some of the others are under a microscope because of National Security reasons.
    I enjoy the post on this thread but prefer we keep politics out of it.

Rev. Jim Klynman
    Woodstock Ga.

• 3.  RE: Where Do We Tweet From Here?

Posted 01-09-2023 11:00
    @James Klynman, I agree that social media can be a blessing and a curse! It can be an enjoyable distraction when I need a mindless minute, it can deliver news quickly, it can be useful if I'm looking for a professional connection, it's a way to build community with other parents at my children's school, etc.  (@Taylor Evans Ghosal, I've never posted a kid dance recital pic on Facebook, but if I did, you KNOW my grandma would love it!) The downside is that it can turn into a major time suck! At any time, I can monitor my phone usage and see how much time I'm spending on social media channels. I'm always surprised by how much time I spend on social media when all of those quick moments are added up. 

I didn't read politics into Taylor's opinion. From the perspective of a Twitter user, it's hard NOT to notice how drastically Twitter and its functionality have changed in the last two months or so (different promoted content, changes to the blue check marks, etc.). It's also impossible to miss the news of the crazy layoffs that happened when Elon Musk took over. I think that instability crushed Twitter's brand. FWIW, I've read the Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos also lost staggering amounts of money this year. 

I'm staying on Twitter for now because I have several accounts that I enjoy following.  If those leave (and so many of them have!), I'll probably go, too. 

-Brianne