Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Expanding Volunteer Opportunities

Posted 01-29-2021 09:44
    Hi, friends! 

We're looking to grow the opportunities to volunteer within the Connect community. Where do you volunteer currently? Do you have an organization you love more than others? Or maybe a few that really stand out? Any causes you're particularly interested in? 

Let's get out there (or maybe "on there" if it's online) and do some cool stuff!

------------------------------
    - Drew

• 2.  RE: Expanding Volunteer Opportunities

Posted 02-11-2021 15:21

Before COVID, I ran a program through a local youth soccer organization called AYSO that provides an opportunity for kids with special needs to play soccer.  I would have matching uniforms for each of the kids, set up fun games that loosely involved some element of the game of soccer, and I tried to recruit volunteers to serve as one-on-one 'coaches' for each of the players.

And for 1 hour a week, the kids had an opportunity to be part of a team, interact with other kids, kick a ball (and my shins), and maybe even allow their parents a brief respite; to sit on the sidelines, and just cheer.  Unfortunately, I had to put a pause on the program this past year.  And since many of these kids have underlying health conditions that put them in a high-risk category for complications from COVID, we'll need to wait a bit longer before we resume.  But I can't wait to get back out there, reconnect with these amazing kids, and hopefully recruit some new volunteers to help out. 

For anyone on the North Shore of Chicago, feel free to "connect" with me if interested!

Brian King

• 3.  RE: Expanding Volunteer Opportunities

Posted 02-15-2021 10:11
    Brian! This sounds super rad. I'm hoping that the weather will improve sooner over later so we can get back out there. I have never been a soccer player (well unless you count that one year between 5th and 6th grades where my parents encouraged me to "branch out"), but I'd be happy to support and cheer or maybe provide some individually-wrapped snacks! @Nick Kapling I know you're already volunteering a million hours with RHINO (for those unfamiliar, check it out), but maybe this is something to keep in the back of your mind? Or perhaps you know some folks who would be interested in helping kids get active? ​

- Drew

• 4.  RE: Expanding Volunteer Opportunities

Posted 02-15-2021 10:42
    YES, Drew!
    To all of it:  to RHINO and to knowing people, and to being interested myself.

For those looking to volunteer with RHINO in this year, we have opportunities for event volunteers (both virtual and eventually back in-person) as well as behind-the-scenes archival work on the website, and grant research / writing work. I'll be posting these as opportunities in the future, but wanted to get them on the radar here and now.

And for those who maybe want to do a stretch their creative muscles to help publicize our growing archive of published poems, check out #rhinoart2art on our website (linked) and in social media.  

Be well, all!​

-Nick

• 5.  RE: Expanding Volunteer Opportunities

Posted 02-15-2021 10:34
    Hey Brian,

What a neat idea! So very cool. I did something similar with a service club in high school: It was so rewarding.  I'm penciling this opportunity into the abstract future space, when things are warmer and safer. 

Keep me in the loop!!

-Nick

• 6.  RE: Expanding Volunteer Opportunities

Posted 02-19-2021 21:07
    @Brian King, that sounds great. Although my apathy for sportsball is pretty well known, I appreciate the joy of play and inclusion in the team. Here's hoping that you and your team gets back on the field soon. ​

Brianne

• 7.  RE: Expanding Volunteer Opportunities

Posted 02-20-2021 15:58
    Most of my volunteering time over the past few months has been dedicated to a new initiative called Global Help Desk. GHD was launched by People-Centered Internet, an organization that aims to "put humanity at the center of the internet." There are multiple efforts taking place there, and personally I'm focused most on education around creating equitable internet access around the world. We recently participated in a Threatcasting exercise, and envisioned how we might engage with various opportunities and challenges as future versions of ourselves (in which I learned the term "Coolabilities"). 

If you also think this kind of volunteering is awesome, let's talk!

Andy Sternberg

• 8.  RE: Expanding Volunteer Opportunities

Posted 02-22-2021 15:28
    Woah, @Andy Sternberg! I hadn't heard of any of that before but it sounds really awesome! ​

- Drew