Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What motivates YOU to volunteer?

Posted 07-02-2020 08:33
    Hi Connect!

As we all know, everyone has different motivations for wanting to find time to volunteer in their everyday lives. Reflecting on my own volunteering experiences, I have always volunteered for causes that are near and dear to my heart.

I volunteered at a few local Walk to End Alzheimer's events because I wanted to connect with others in my local community that have had family members affected by this disease and help raise awareness for the Alzheimer Association's cause.

This got me curious – what motivates YOU to volunteer in your life?

Not only am I looking forward to learning what motivates you below, but I'm hoping you can also participate in our community poll (on the right side of your Connect Through Volunteering community homepage) to provide us with more feedback.

Best,
    Chris

------------------------------
    Chris Weaver
    Saratoga Springs NY

• 2.  RE: What motivates YOU to volunteer?

Posted 07-02-2020 09:15
    Great question, @Chris Weaver!

I agree - I tend to volunteer for/with causes that hit me in my feels. Knowing a few friends who have tested HIV+, I've raised money through the Ride for AIDS Chicago (a bike ride from Chicago to Lake Geneva, WI and back), and a few AIDS walks/runs. I also am keen to donate money and time to organizations who work with LGBTQ+ populations, especially when they directly impact kids and young adults. I also love to volunteer when it's with my friends!

Last year, ​@Jean Doan and I rode our bikes down to the south side of Chicago and volunteered at a nursing home because that particular opportunity hit two interests of mine: scooping ice cream and playing board games with residents. We had a great time getting to know the residents and other volunteers!

- Drew

• 3.  RE: What motivates YOU to volunteer?

Posted 07-06-2020 09:29
    What usually gets me motivated is the cause/community it serves. Efforts that benefit locally or support any of the many communities I am a part of. I like to volunteer by doing things I like to do anyways. 

I like birding and taking walks so a park/nature cleanup is great. 
    I taught ESL and citizenship prep classes because I got to come up with fun lesson plans and practice my Spanish. 
    Even things like sorting and organizing which I find extremely satisfying, made volunteering at a local food bank a good fit. 

Also, like a lot of people, current events highlighting a problem or community in need will generally motivate me to be more active and creative in ways I can be of service.

Elisa Meggs

• 4.  RE: What motivates YOU to volunteer?

Posted 07-06-2020 09:42
    That's awesome, @Elisa Meggs!  

Have you heard of the Citizen Science birding projects run through Cornell?
    https://www.birds.cornell.edu/citizenscience

Here's the intro from their main page. If you like birding/taking walks - I think these would be right up your alley:

Hundreds of thousands of people around the world contribute bird observations to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology each year, gathering data on a scale once unimaginable. Scientists use these data to reveal how birds are affected by habitat loss, pollution, disease, climate, and other environmental changes. Your participation will help us trace bird migration, nesting success, and changes in bird numbers through time. These insights inform conservation plans and key actions to protect birds and habitats. Find a project that's right for you!

- Drew

• 5.  RE: What motivates YOU to volunteer?

Posted 07-07-2020 09:48
    This is awesome, @Quinn Drew-- it's crowd sourcing at its finest!​

Brianne Haxton
    Rotary International

• 6.  RE: What motivates YOU to volunteer?

Posted 07-07-2020 10:14
    I'm motivated by my kids-- I want to teach them from the start that volunteering is important. Pre-coronavirus, we participated in an activity to stuff kits with supplies for people experiencing homelessness. The kids had fun helping and enjoyed being with other kids that were helping with their families. (My motivation to volunteer is also sometimes my limitation-- I try to find family-friendly events with flexible participation.)

Brianne Haxton
    Rotary International