Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Using Inclusive Language as a Volunteer

Posted 06-22-2020 09:58
    As a volunteer, we want to "show up" both literally and figuratively for the people we're supporting. Since June is LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer) Pride Month, I thought this would be a perfect time for all of us to brush up on the inclusive language we should all be using when it comes to supporting the LGBTQ communities. 

Head on over to the Connect Resource Center to read An Ally's Guide to Terminology: Talking About LGBT People & Equality.

And if you're interested, check out "Your 2020 Virtual Pride Guide" posted by The New York Times. 

What questions do you have about inclusive language? How do you/will you incorporate it in your own world?

------------------------------
    - Drew

• 2.  RE: Using Inclusive Language as a Volunteer

Posted 06-23-2020 08:04
    Very interesting...I didn't realize that talking about "rights" could be divisive language. It does make sense to focus on the underlying principles of love, integrity, stability, etc. when discussing gay and transgender issues. Thanks for the Ally's Guide resource, I am sure I will refer to it again in the future!

Maria Liccardo

• 3.  RE: Using Inclusive Language as a Volunteer

Posted 08-03-2020 09:15
    I was doing some reading/research on inclusive language and came across the Harvard Implicit Bias test again, which is always an opportunity to learn and challenge myself to grow. Wanted to be sure to share it here! Happy Monday, all!

A little information about the test directly from their site, if you've not heard of it before:
    Project Implicit is a non-profit organization and international collaboration between researchers who are interested in implicit social cognition - thoughts and feelings outside of conscious awareness and control. The goal of the organization is to educate the public about hidden biases and to provide a "virtual laboratory" for collecting data on the Internet.

Here are the various tests you can take to check your own levels of implicit bias:

- Drew

• 4.  RE: Using Inclusive Language as a Volunteer

Posted 08-21-2020 08:53
    While this isn't directly related to a volunteer situation, a broadcaster for the Cincinnati Reds was pulled mid-broadcast and suspended "indefinitely" for using a homophobic slur on air. (Read more here: https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/08/20/thom-brennaman-reds-broadcast-homophobic-slur

I've got a few thoughts on this: 
    1. Good on the Reds for pulling Brennaman and good on them for showing they mean it when they say, "The Reds embrace a zero-tolerance policy for bias or discrimination of any kind, and we are truly sorry to anyone who has been offended."
    2. This is a good reminder of the work we need to do in demanding the use of inclusive language AND the elimination of hate speech/slurs.
    3. I am disheartened at Brennaman's apology. Specifically the fact that he apologizes to "the people who sign his paycheck" first and the people who he offended last: "I want to apologize to the people who sign my paycheck, to the Reds, to FOX Sports Ohio, to the people I work with or anybody that I've offended tonight" Seriously?!
    What do y'all think?

- Drew

• 5.  RE: Using Inclusive Language as a Volunteer

Posted 09-08-2020 10:40
    It is a "teachable moment". He is sorry he has to pay for his negative actions and behavior. He really doesn't see anything wrong with it. It was normal for him. We have to create, as a society, a new normal.

Melissa Mitchell