Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Who in your life is leading the way for racial justice?

Posted 09-02-2020 10:22
    I love a Miir mug: it's lightweight and it keeps my coffee hot. I also like Miir as a company - they're a relatively small business and frequently pair with other small businesses to cross-promote and try to make the world a better place. (Like for instance, when Miir and United by Blue paired up in the beginning of the pandemic to offer discounts for folks who were struggling financially. And that reminds me they made this stellar mug, with a design from a local artist, to raise money for Feeding America's COVID-19 Response Fund.) 

Anyway
    Miir, Getaway, Rachel Cargle, and The Nellie Mae Education Foundation have put together, "A Year of Rest." They want you to nominate your friends, family, peers, colleagues - anyone you know - who is actively furthering racial justice

We're thrilled to announce A Year of Rest, a continuation of 100 Nights of Rest, in partnership with Rachel Cargle, The Nellie Mae Education Foundation, and MiiR. We were so overwhelmed by the response, receiving thousands of heartfelt nominations from across the country, that we knew we had to do more. In total we'll be providing 365 nights of rest for Black people working for change, and those fighting for the Black community.

We support the critical work taking place, and want to offer access to nature as a resource. Rest is critical to continuing the revolution. The better we take care of ourselves, the stronger we'll be as we continue this fight.

We're considering all past nominations as well as new nominations. They may be a community organizer, a parent, a healthcare worker, a teacher, an artist, or a friend-every contribution, no matter how big or small, moves us forward. If we're going to make meaningful changes, it will take all of us.

------------------------------
    - Drew

• 2.  RE: Who in your life is leading the way for racial justice?

Posted 09-03-2020 10:14
    @Quinn Drew this is amazing! I looked into the Getaway tiny houses--what a great idea! ​There is a contingent of high school and college-age young adults in my community that are making things happen. One group is especially focused on dispersing police budgets to other qualified public safety agencies such as social workers and substance abuse counselors. This has been called "defunding police" but I don't like that term, it's too easily misrepresented as lawlessness and anarchy by opponents. Anyway, I am fortunate that there are many racial justice superheroes in my community and I plan to nominate a few of them--thanks for raising my awareness on this!

Maria Liccardo

• 3.  RE: Who in your life is leading the way for racial justice?

Posted 09-08-2020 10:37
    I hate the defunding the police term.... we want to properly fund our police at all times. We simply want some money to go into crime prevention. Social services, youth organizations, drug rehabilitation programs, and mental health programs ( we are in desperate need of good ones in Chicago) are what we want to be funded. 

I am also against privately run prisons for profit. I want that to be illegal. When you have a contract to fill a prison or lose the cash you fill a prison. I would rather that money and energy go to more mental health facilities and day programs for people who need assistance.

Better "pre-crime" services like job readiness programs, will help the police by lowering the pool of people who are more likely to commit crime. Mental health programs will help ease the torrent of violent crimes. People who are having severe mental issues shouldn't be sent to jail but what are the alternatives?

we have a lot of work to do.

Melissa Mitchell

• 4.  RE: Who in your life is leading the way for racial justice?

Posted 09-08-2020 10:46
    I hear you, @Melissa Mitchell and @Maria Liccardo.

My bike was stolen a week or so ago, and - long story short - a friend found it on OfferUp, I arranged a meet with the person who was selling it. Because I didn't feel super comfortable going just by myself, I involved the local police department and they were able to recover the bike.

To be honest, it was a really tough decision to involve the police. In this case, it worked as it "should" - my property was recovered and the situation didn't escalate. But I also realize it could have. And I recognize many of my points of privilege that contributed to the positive outcome, including but not limited to my white skin. 

My friends and I have had deep and hard conversations about what alternatives I had/didn't have to involving the police. Like you, Melissa, I want our money to go to social services, youth orgs, mental health programs, pre-crime services - gosh, anything education and prevention related over weapons and physical training. 

So much work to be done.

- Drew