Volunteering Forum

View Only

Volunteers Needed: Saturday, 9/25 at LaBagh Woods (Chicago area)

• 1.  Volunteers Needed: Saturday, 9/25 at LaBagh Woods (Chicago area)

Posted 09-16-2021 07:38
    Do you like beer? And/or nature? And/or community? Me too! Which is why I love Beer in the Woods, put on by the Friends of the Forest Preserves of Cook County.  (I also happen to be on this year's planning committee alongside @Nick Kapling)

Turns out the volunteers scheduled for the event have unexpectedly backed out​ and we need some mega help. Here's the post from our fearless leader and coordinator of the event about what's needed: 

Beer in the Woods needs a hero! (or 10)
    Good afternoon,

The 5th Annual Beer in the Woods is September 25, 1 - 6 p.m. at LaBagh Woods in Chicago. This is a fundraiser for Friends of the Forest Preserves, an independent nonprofit working to protect, promote, and care for the forest preserves in Cook County. Our much anticipated event is a week and a half away, and we just got thrown a curveball. Our planned volunteer help has been forced to back out! We need 10-15 volunteers on the day of the
    event to help with setup beforehand, and some support during the event.

Your shift from 9:30 - 2 p.m may include: 
    • Set up:  Move picnic tables and other big items. Must be able to lift 40 lbs, and you might get a little dirty. Also trash pick-up since the event is on public lands (in the forest preserves) and we don't always know what to expect when we arrive.
    • Exhibitor assistance: We need help getting our wonderful breweries and partner organizations settled in. You'll show folks to their tents and tables and help unload cars.
    • General guidance: Help our exhibitors find ice, the bathrooms, a staff member… Whatever is needed to help everything behind-the-scenes run smoothly.
    What's in it for you:
    • A snappy t-shirt
    • FREE admission to the event (after 2 p.m.)
    • Being told "thank you" constantly
    • Community service hours as applicable
    If you're available from 5-7pm, we'd love some help breaking down the event. 

Whew! This latest challenge to our beloved event is a doozy! If you can help drum up some support, please let us know as soon as possible. Contact Ilana Federman, Outreach Manager at ilana@fotfp.org. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tagging a few folks in particular who I know like beer/cider and the outdoors. Any of y'all available/know of anyone else who might be interested? @Julie Aubry​​ @Amy Hopkins @Brian King @Andy Sternberg @Mhari Goldstein @Alison Randall ​​​​​

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn
    ------------------------------