Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  LGBTQ+ Activism and Resources in Chicago

Posted 09-25-2020 08:27
    I started the morning reading through "10 Historic LGBTQ Moments in Chicago" and it spurred quite a few "dang, really?" moments in my brain. 

For instance, while we all may (hopefully) know that "police harassment disproportionately affected Black and LGBTQ communities in Chicago" I did not know that that transgender and Black organizations (none of which exist today, but all of which formed the foundations of current organizations like Brave Space Alliance) worked together, focusing on entrapment, police harassment and raids. Also, the first black mayor of Chicago, Harold Washington, spent time and energy repealing laws against sodomy and homosexuality. Now that's the power of #intersectionality.

Imagine what we could do today if we could get organizations to work together to change the system. We are stronger together.

Speaking of work we can do, the post linked to a really great list of LGBTQ+ Activism and Resources in Chicagowhich is split into the following categories: 
    • Community resources
    • Health and wellness
    • Housing
    • Legal services
    Many of the organizations listed under community resources are looking for volunteers and donations.

------------------------------
    - Drew

• 2.  RE: LGBTQ+ Activism and Resources in Chicago

Posted 09-25-2020 15:51
    @Quinn Drew, thanks for all this great info! I'm planning to watch a few of the movies featured at Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival running through October 4--so many great films to choose from!

Maria Liccardo

• 3.  RE: LGBTQ+ Activism and Resources in Chicago

Posted 09-28-2020 10:53
    Thanks for sharing! I did NOT know that about Frankie Knuckles. People should also be sure to follow some of these orgs on social media for pop up drives, fundraisers and for action endorsements.  

On another note, how do we incite hope in intersectionality at the highest levels (I didn't know that about Harold Washington!) when the current atmosphere seems to lean more towards -- hold the people in charge accountable because they don't have our best interests at heart? To  keep the Chicago mayor line going, Lori Lightfoot seemed to be a beacon of intersectionality, but a lot of queer and Black people are left disappointed with misplaced hope in her potential.

I must admit I've been leaning into the "We take care of us" mentality with the current trajectory of the world. It's a convincing sentiment for building an empowered community independent of the powers that be. 

Just some morning ramblings in case anyone else has these thoughts rolling around their heads as well.

Elisa Meggs

• 4.  RE: LGBTQ+ Activism and Resources in Chicago

Posted 09-30-2020 07:37
    @Elisa Meggs - that is a GREAT question: ​"how do we incite hope in intersectionality at the highest levels?" 

I always think of something I heard Kate Bornstein (an incredible writer, activist, and artist) talk about years ago: the more we demonstrate our differences and try to separate the issues, the easier it is for our leadership to stoke those flames. Essentially, the more that the LGBTQ communities argue for queer rights, and Black communities argue for Black rights, and women argue for women's rights (and so on and so on), the easier it is for leaders to say, "we can't give rights to one and hurt another," OR to say, "sure, we'll give this group a win..." but that also means a loss for another community. Still keeps the people in power in power. 

Kate (and many others since) argued that in order to create real change, we've gotta team up and fight for and with each other. When WE embrace our intersectionality, it's harder for leaders to ignore it. 

Sounds great in theory, right? 
    Making it happen in real life is much harder. 

How's that for morning ramblings? ;)

- Drew

• 5.  RE: LGBTQ+ Activism and Resources in Chicago

Posted 10-05-2020 19:50

Oh my word. So much truth in the intersectionality conversation. I have been struggling to converse with family members and well meaning friends who have a very narrow perspective on one simple area... and it then informs all of their other perspectives, whether they mean for it to or not.

Elisa, for some reason it won't let me tag you, so I hope you see this: I really love the comment you made about empowered (and enlightened) communities independent of whatever our governance currently might be at any moment. Taking responsibility to provide a community, support, education, and help in whatever form we can to be a caring, thriving group of HUMANS who believe in inclusion, acceptance, equality, etc.​

Sarah
    State College PA

• 6.  RE: LGBTQ+ Activism and Resources in Chicago

Posted 10-06-2020 07:34
    @Elisa Meggs - odd, I was having a hard time tagging you last night, too. Today it seems to work!

@Sarah Flynn - "I have been struggling to converse with family members and well meaning friends who have a very narrow perspective on one simple area... and it then informs all of their other perspectives, whether they mean for it to or not." THIS. I feel like we all do this, right? We move and meander through the world, picking up pieces of knowledge here and there, making decisions based on our experiences and values. What I appreciate about folx who are focused on growth is the willingness to learn, consider other perspectives, and adapt. 

A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook: Jeannie Gaffigan: My loved ones told me 'real' Catholics vote for Trump. Here's my response. As someone raised Catholic (read: CCD before school-age, Catholic schooling 1-colllege, 1 year as a Catholic middle school teacher), her thoughts hit me hard. ​I grew up thinking: if I'm this, I can't be that. If I'm Catholic, I can't be gay. If I'm a girl, I can't wear boy clothes. (Just two examples, right.) The trick is finding and allowing differing perspectives to rock your world a little, and owning the discomfort that brings. That is certainly never easy, and harder still to convince others to consider doing so as well. 

As Gaffigan says, "It is true that showing love, mercy and forgiveness to persuade others to value life is much more work than sitting back and pointing fingers and judging. I am ready to start working." 

#Letsgo #whenyouknowbetterdobetter

​​

- Drew