Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  3 Ways to Show You Care

Posted 11-10-2021 15:24
    Edited by Quinn Drew 11-10-2021 15:25
    This month's Happiness Calendar from Greater Good Magazine helps us focus on slowing down and appreciating the good in our lives. Looking through it, I'm reminded that there are tons of ways we can make an impact in our communities and networks; we don't have to rely on "traditional" volunteer activities. 

Here are some that stood out to me: 
    • Practice saying no to avoid burning out (which also helps with staying present in the moment and helping others feel seen and heard) 
    • Listen deeply and be curious (same as above)
    • Go for a walk with a friend (connection and reconnection can spark joy in ourselves and others)
    What do you think? How can we/do you help friends and families and community members outside of the more traditional volunteer type opportunities?

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn
    ​​​​

• 2.  RE: 3 Ways to Show You Care

Posted 11-11-2021 08:44
    Last year, I started sending cards each week. I'd write them on Sunday night and walk to the mailbox the next day, which also ensured that I got outside and had a walk. This was during the very early days of the pandemic, when a lot of us were holed up alone at home. So I figured I'd do something to reach people at home (as long as the USPS held up). And who doesn't like getting mail (with stickers)? I sent cards every week to my family members and also chose a few friends from anyone I had actual addresses for. And the process made *me* feel better too, because it was one small thing I could do when it felt like we couldn't do anything. I fell out of the habit in the spring and summer when things opened up, but I'd like to get back to it this winter (plus, I bought all these cards...)

Amy Finkelstein

• 3.  RE: 3 Ways to Show You Care

Posted 11-11-2021 12:42
    Edited by Arnie Grahl 11-11-2021 12:43
    I love this @Quinn Drew. I have been deliberately taking time every morning to reflect and meditate on the day. And I have committed to using the flexibility of work from home to have occasionally lunches with family members, bumping out my work day a bit longer if needed to get things done. I think our biggest problem in our results-driven culture is the feeling we have to work all the time and get things done constantly.
    Life is about more than results. And some extremely important things require us to "stop and smell the roses," to use an overworked cliche.​

Arnie Grahl

• 4.  RE: 3 Ways to Show You Care

Posted 11-12-2021 07:28
    @Amy Finkelstein - I love that idea. A few years back, I was really good about sending postcards out to friends randomly, but I've fallen off the habit. I think this might have been the kick I needed to get back into the swing of it. :)

@Arnie Grahl - amen to "life is about more than results" and I totally feel you that we live in a results-driven culture. We all glorify "busy" and it makes me feel like I'm not doing enough if I'm "just" taking some down time. I'm trying to challenge my thoughts around this every day.​​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 5.  RE: 3 Ways to Show You Care

Posted 11-12-2021 07:49
    Related-adjacent, I was inspired by this Instagram post to ask my friends, "how do you say I love you without using those three words." Here's what they came up with: 

Of course, now I want tacos. 

I say "I love you" without those words by picking up a tab at a happy hour, sending a random text to check in, and recommending music I think someone might like. What about y'all?

Stay awesome,
    Quinn