Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Out of my comfort zone

Posted 10-27-2020 12:07

I just signed up to do some text banking on Sunday in advance of Election Day. 

I've never done this kind of volunteering, so I'm feeling a little out of my comfort zone. (But whomever you're voting for, I think it's so important for people to get out and vote!)

Does anyone have any experience doing this? I'd love to hear more about what to expect.

If you want to join me: Text with People's Action!!!! · People's Action

------------------------------
    Brianne Haxton

• 2.  RE: Out of my comfort zone

Posted 10-27-2020 13:07
    I haven't done this, but I feel like @Jean Doan and her wife signed up to do this.
    Jean, what's your experience been like?​

- Drew

• 3.  RE: Out of my comfort zone

Posted 11-02-2020 09:42
    Update: Text banking wasn't bad at all! It was kind of fun, actually. I joined a Zoom call with 250-200 people to listen live music while we texted. (I did a 3 hour shift, and got to hear someone singing live from her apartment (she was amazing!), a DJ from Chicago, and a singer/songwriting playing his guitar from his home studio in Nashville.) 

I got some salty comments, but that will happen. I also got some messages of support and was able to help a voter who had some questions. 

So although it was outside of my comfort zone, it ended up being a worthwhile experience! I know @Beth Power did it over the weekend, too, so she can also share about her experience. 

Brianne Haxton