Volunteering Forum

View Only

Chicago Conservation Corps - big picture issues, local solutions

• 1.  Chicago Conservation Corps - big picture issues, local solutions

Posted 01-14-2021 14:28
    I've had the Chicago Conservation Corps on my radar for the last year or so, but haven't been able to follow through with it due to... well, you know, the state of the world. That said, I'm determined to at least get to one of the orientations this year. Anyone want to join? 

From their site: 

You care. Do something. We'll help.
    The Chicago Conservation Corps (C3) empowers Chicagoans to complete neighborhood sustainability and environmental projects that impact and engage communities across the city.

We are C3 Leaders: activists, environmentalists, community organizers, naturalists, volunteers, and professionals starting a movement. We believe that through grassroots sustainability initiatives we can improve the quality of life for all Chicagoans-and spark a lasting change.

As a C3 Leader, you'll receive unmatched training and support through the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum and our partners. Participants attend a series of classes that explore big picture issues and local solutions, network with peers and sustainability thought-leaders, and practice community organizing skills that empower Chicagoans to make difference.

To participate in the training course, you must be an adult Chicago resident, attend an orientation, and submit an application. The 8-week course will be held online and meet twice a week. The presentation part of the class will be held on Tuesdays, April 6-May 25, from 6:15–8:15pm. In addition to the weekly lecture participants will also be required to attend once weekly 45 minute-long C3 staff-led discussion on Wednesdays (12pm or 6pm) or Thursday evenings (6pm). A $125 fee covers course participation; financial assistance is available upon request.

Sounds pretty rad, right?
    Learn more on their site, and if you're inclined, sign up for one of the orientations! 
    (I'm signed up for the one on Monday, 1 March)

#communityorganizing #leadership #volunteering​​​ #activism

------------------------------
    - Drew
    ------------------------------