Volunteering Forum

View Only

How do you volunteer your time and skills at work?

• 1.  How do you volunteer your time and skills at work?

Posted 08-10-2020 12:15
    I am so grateful for my colleagues.
    Maybe you're thinking, "Good thought, Drew... but where'd it come from?"

I was on an impromptu Skype call with a colleague who asked me for a quick favor. She'd spend a pretty big chunk of time creating a learning module, and though it'd gone through some review, she wanted a last minute check for any glaring red flags before she submitted it for the next step of the process. The call lasted all of about 5 minutes, but it got me thinking about the fact that I work in an environment where we all support each other, and in doing so, our work products are stronger. 

While offering to help is definitely an easy way to show your colleagues you care it's also a form of volunteering! It's why I'm making this post here, instead of the professional development community. Sure, it's work for the organization, but since it's not tied directly to my role, the time I'm spending and the skills I'm using can be categorized as volunteering. (#thinkingoutsideofthebox)

What are some of the ways you volunteer within your organization? Or use your skills for a different organization? (Like, do you review things for friends regularly? Or participate in brainstorm sessions?) I'm so curious!

------------------------------
    - Drew
    ------------------------------