Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Practicing self-care through volunteering

Posted 06-28-2021 09:13
    I usually think that volunteering is a selfless giving of my time...the one resource I never seem to have enough of! However, the article from happiness.com, Why is volunteering important? These 7 great reasons show the benefits, got me to thinking that volunteering isn't truly selfless. It can become part of my self-care routine.

I really connected with #6: Volunteering helps you forget your own problems. I can get so wrapped up in my own day-to-day issues at work & home, it seems like a never-ending stream of deadlines, family obligations, and house projects. This article says it best, "...focusing on others can give us a deeper sense of perspective and help distract us from negative thoughts and help stop rumination."

Perspective! It's so tough to see when I don't take the time to get out of my own head. There's no better way to put things in perspective ​than to help someone else in need.

How do you think you can fit volunteering into your self-care routine? @Emily Stamm​, any ideas?

------------------------------
    Maria Liccardo

• 2.  RE: Practicing self-care through volunteering

Posted 06-29-2021 17:49

@Maria Liccardo, I love this and really needed it!

As many of us have done over the last year (and probably longer), I am 100% guilty of prioritizing my work over self-care. I can  relate to what Maria said about getting wrapped-up in my day-to-day and getting stuck in my own head, and know that something needs to change.

Guilty as charged - Guilty Beagle | Meme Generator

This article was a great reminder of why volunteering and giving back to others and my community is important,  as well as how beneficial it is for my own wellbeing. One of my self-care goals (that I am hoping to make into a routine) is to step away from my computer screens and disconnect from my work. I am hoping to take time to be more active and to connect with others. And as the author of this article pointed out ( #1 and # 3) both can be accomplished by volunteering!

@Andrew Hohman, what do you think?

​​​​​​​

​​

Emily Stamm

• 3.  RE: Practicing self-care through volunteering

Posted 07-01-2021 08:46
    This article explains the benefits and rewards of volunteering, but I think most of these can easily translate into motivators and the factors that cause us to decide to volunteer. 

I moved to a new area less than a year before the pandemic. The timing of my move impacted many of these benefits and joys. Benefits 1, 4, and 6 resonate with me the most, and I think they're intertwined. 

Calvin Holbrook, the author of the article, is absolutely right that a strong fellowship can be formed through volunteering (benefit 1). Part of that is because you have a shared mission of the impact you're trying to make on the wider community. Volunteering provides an automatic common ground. Connecting with others in this easy way certainly helps mental health (benefit 4). The redirected focus towards the task at hand and the people you're volunteering with then helps you disconnect from your own problems and gain further perspective (benefit 6).

This article is a great reminder of the great foundation volunteer opportunities can provide!

Andrew Hohman