Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Happy Earth Day!

Posted 04-22-2021 08:27

It's Earth Day today! 
    I know many of us here in the Connect community treat our environment like it's Earth Day every day, and for that I am very grateful. Perhaps we could all pitch in and do something a little extra special today, and maybe we use today to inspire our friends and colleagues to start a routine that will make the Earth happy. 

I looked through this list of 51 Ways to Restore Our Earth and decided to download the Global Earth Challenge app. It's an easy way to contribute to science and help the environment along the way! #citizenscience is a great way to #volunteer!

What's everyone else doing today (and/or every day!) 

Tagging some of our awesome Connectors to get us started:
    @Ling Salter @Mhari Goldstein @Emily Stamm @Amy Hopkins @Colette Martin-Wilde
    ​​​​​​​

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 2.  RE: Happy Earth Day!

Posted 04-22-2021 14:25
    Thanks @Quinn Drew for reminding us to do a little better.

I was recently turned on to an easy way to compost:  put your scraps in a bag in the freezer. You can collect them easily and they don't smell, grow or become gross because they're frozen. You can also start or join a compost co-op or find organizations that will pick up your scraps.  Check out https://compostnow.org/compost-services/ for some ideas.​

I'm working from New Orleans this week and in honor of Earth Day I'm going canoeing in the Cane bayou to chill with the gators and get an up-close look at the swamp and all the diverse life that's in it. (can you tell I love paddling in the swamp?)

Happy Earth Day everyone.  Be kind to our Mother every day, not just on Her day.  Cheers, all.

CMW
    Colette Martin-Wilde

• 3.  RE: Happy Earth Day!

Posted 04-22-2021 14:55
    Hey @Quinn Drew!

Thanks for asking what I'm getting up to today and for sharing those tips to help the Earth! I'll have to check out that Global Earth Challenge app..

Over the last year, I got into the habit of taking a daily walk after work. I love exploring my neighborhood and the different streets and parks but there are certain places where I noticed litter likes to gather. Recently, I found one of those grabber tools from the dollar store near me and I plan on breaking it in today by getting gloved up and picking up litter in my community! It seems like such an easy, natural way to add service into something I was already doing! 

There's also an initiative to update a certain corridor of streets near me and I will be attending upcoming council meetings to advocate that green spaces (such as landscaped medians) are included in the planning. 

And, just because sometimes I can be a bit extra, we're having a vegitable curry dinner and watching Planet Earth II to round out our night. 

🌎🌎🌎

Mhari G.

• 4.  RE: Happy Earth Day!

Posted 04-23-2021 07:57
    Yay Earth Day every day!

This weekend I'll be participating in a massive Rotary collaboration for a Great Lakes Watershed cleanup to clean up parks and beaches. Members surrounding every single Great Lake will be participating! (Great way to take care of good ol' H.O.M.E.S.!)

Daily, I've been much more aware of my plastic consumption, especially with plastic bags. I came from a family where when you got plastic grocery bags, they got shoved in the space between the fridge and the wall and pulled out when you needed an extra bag or similar. Now, I'm actively looking not only to reuse (thanks to the thicker plastic bags now in Chicago), but to recycle as well. Check out www.plasticfimrecycling.org for locations near you!

Amy Hopkins

• 5.  RE: Happy Earth Day!

Posted 04-23-2021 08:13
    @Colette Martin-Wilde (freezer for the win!), @Mhari Goldstein (how was the curry?), @Amy Hopkins (I think of "H.O.M.E.S." at least 4 times per year. Tell that to middle school me who was like "why is this important") - thanks for sharing!

Mhari, this one's for you:
    ​​​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 6.  RE: Happy Earth Day!

Posted 04-23-2021 08:30
    @Quinn Drew, I love him! Let's be honest, if anyone's going to support a "Save the Earth" movement, it's going to be dinosaurs.

So... turns out I didn't have the necessary ingredients for curry so it turned into a vegan manwich on a keto bun. Immediately upon taking the first bite, I was transported into a Portlandia ​sketch. Overall, a great Earth Day. How was yours?!

A Day in the Life of Carrie Brownstein - WSJ

Mhari G.

• 7.  RE: Happy Earth Day!

Posted 04-23-2021 08:46
    Cane Bayou, Louisiana where the continental Unites States ends

Cane Bayou
    Giant osprey nest w/mama guarding her chicks.  She buzzed us a few times to make sure we kept our distance.
    Giant osprey nest

CMW
    Colette Martin-Wilde

• 8.  RE: Happy Earth Day!

Posted 04-23-2021 10:35
    Did someone say dinosaurs (@Jean Doan)?

Mhari, my day was good! Spent a little more of it in front of a computer screen than I wanted, but I got to catch up with some friends and played some Jackbox games. Today I'm planning on getting out for a walk over lunch, enjoying the sunshine​, and reflecting on the Spring beauty around me!

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 9.  RE: Happy Earth Day!

Posted 04-26-2021 10:50
    Edited by Arnie Grahl 04-26-2021 10:57
    Does pulling out dandelions count? I do them by hand so as not to poison the environment with potentially toxic chemicals. Plus it's kind of relaxing, at least the first dozen or so.

Oh, and we have a compost bin, one of the old, ugly, black bins that solid waste agencies used to give out about a decade ago, or at least ours here in Lake County did. So once it warms up every year, we compost all our organic scraps. Last year, I realized that if i stirred it up by hand every morning (it's not a kind that rotates) it avoids hard layers forming and creates a great earthy compost that is much more even!!

Arnold Grahl