Volunteering Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Assembling Care Kits for Ronald McDonald House Charities

Posted 06-07-2021 16:26
      |   view attached
    This is a long-overdue post, but I wanted to share my experience making Care Kits for Ronald McDonald House Charities. I signed up through Connect and roped in the parents and kids from my child's preschool to help. The preschool was excited to participate-- they loved the opportunity to get the kids involved in an activity that helps others. 

I started by sending a message to the parents in the rooms of 3-4 and 4-5 year olds to request that they bring in any unused travel size shampoos, conditioners, body washes, toothbrushes, toothpastes, and lotions. I also invited them to make a financial contribution if they preferred. The response was amazing! Many families brought in travel size toiletries at home. With the money donated, I was able to buy the additional pieces to make more than 80 kits! 

I delivered the toiletries to the school and the teachers set up the world's cutest assembly line to get the work done. (Side note: I did do a QC on each of the kits, because it turns out that adorable work crews are not always reliable-- some folks definitely would've gotten two conditioners and no shampoo.)  :)   

We delivered four big bags of kits to the Ronald McDonald House near Loyola University Medical Center today. Thanks to @Brittany Wright and the folks at RMHC for this great opportunity!

------------------------------
    -Brianne

• 2.  RE: Assembling Care Kits for Ronald McDonald House Charities

Posted 06-11-2021 12:05
    This is GREAT, @Brianne Haxton! Way to activate your network of big and smalls to do some seriously good work for the world. Really inspiring stuff here. ​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 3.  RE: Assembling Care Kits for Ronald McDonald House Charities

Posted 06-14-2021 10:14
    Edited by Arnie Grahl 06-14-2021 10:26
    What a great activity @Brianne Haxton! I've been wanting to organize a crew to go down and prepare meals for people staying at the Ronald McDonald house, which I think is another volunteer opportunity. I was just waiting for the pandemic to ease it's way out. Which, knock on wood, could be pretty soon!!​

Also, where did you find such adorable kids with big smiley face heads! :)

Arnold Grahl

• 4.  RE: Assembling Care Kits for Ronald McDonald House Charities

Posted 06-15-2021 09:34
    @Brianne HaxtonTruly the cutest assembly line and such a great way to have kids learn the importance of giving back at such a young age! ​

Amanda Gose