Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  International Women's Day Inspiration

Posted 03-08-2022 09:14
    I am absolutely loving all of the women-focused emails and posts and memes I'm seeing today. (It's inspiration to keep them coming even after this day has passed, to be honest.) If you see something you love in particular, please share here! I'll kick it off: 

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 2.  RE: International Women's Day Inspiration

Posted 03-09-2022 14:03
    I love this Quinn!  I saw some great images this week too - this one stands out to me as a mom of two girls!

Amanda Gose

• 3.  RE: International Women's Day Inspiration

Posted 03-10-2022 10:52
    @Amanda Gose, I love that! As a mom, I try to be mindful of how I speak to my kids. @Quinn Drew, thanks for sharing that beautiful post which is a reminder that our girls are strong, brave, resilient, funny, smart... 

I've always loved the poem Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou since it speaks to a woman's beauty beyond her "pretty." 

Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
    I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
    But when I start to tell them,
    They think I'm telling lies.
    I say,
    It's in the reach of my arms
    The span of my hips,
    The stride of my step,
    The curl of my lips.
    I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

I walk into a room
    Just as cool as you please,
    And to a man,
    The fellows stand or
    Fall down on their knees.
    Then they swarm around me,
    A hive of honey bees.
    I say,
    It's the fire in my eyes,
    And the flash of my teeth,
    The swing in my waist,
    And the joy in my feet.
    I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
    What they see in me.
    They try so much
    But they can't touch
    My inner mystery.
    When I try to show them
    They say they still can't see.
    I say,
    It's in the arch of my back,
    The sun of my smile,
    The ride of my breasts,
    The grace of my style.
    I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

Now you understand
    Just why my head's not bowed.
    I don't shout or jump about
    Or have to talk real loud.
    When you see me passing
    It ought to make you proud.
    I say,
    It's in the click of my heels,
    The bend of my hair,
    the palm of my hand,
    The need of my care,
    'Cause I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

Here's to all the phenomenal women out there. Cheers! ​

-Brianne

• 4.  RE: International Women's Day Inspiration

Posted 03-14-2022 12:11
    I just read @Sara Tetzloff's blog about celebrating women on International Women's Day. Sara, thanks for sharing! It's impossible to understate the impact these people have had on women's rights. These women were so brave-- they faced jail time, violence, and persecution as they fought for what they believed in. 

My first grader has been learning about Women's History Month in school, so we've been talking about it often at home. I really like A Mighty Girl as a resource for information, books, and inspiring stories about girls and women. It's geared toward kids, but I find the curated content to be excellent. https://www.amightygirl.com/books/mighty-girls-women/women-s-history​ 

The National Women's History Museum also has amazing resources, including interactive biographies and a downloadable toolkit with links to virtual tours and exhibits, TED playlists, activities that celebrate all women, and lots more. If you're looking to learn something new and be inspired, I highly recommend it. 

Most of these resources highlight American women trailblazers. I'd love to learn about other women around the world who have fought and continue to fight for women's rights. @Leanne Jaggs who are the notable Kiwis who have contributed to the advancement of women's rights? Obviously your PM Jacinda Ardern has an amazing story!) @Janice Mason, what about in the UK? 

​I'd love to hear from some of my fellow Connectors @Marisol Villa, @Stacy Graham, @Mandy Lewis-Jourdain @Heather Dean @Sara Neiman @Melissa Mitchell @Alison Randall @Beth Power​​​​​​​​​​​

-Brianne

• 5.  RE: International Women's Day Inspiration

Posted 03-14-2022 12:51

Hi!

Thanks @Brianne Haxton. I love a good inspiration story! And I don't want to shift the story on being inspired. I'll just add that there are unconventional ways to be inspired - like understanding that it's ok to be unsure of things. That we're not perfect. That we don't have to get everything right. That women don't have to be held to an unrealistic standard. That we're human.​

I have two podcasts to recommend from women that inspire me to be gentle with myself. 
    Everything Happens with Kate Bowler  - https://katebowler.com/podcasts/
    Terrible, Thanks for Asking with Nora McInerny - https://www.ttfa.org/

I know this may seem like I hijacked the thread for this. So to that end, let me get us back on track. I recommend a wonderful short film  - Ala-Kachuu Take and Run. It tells the story of women who are kidnapped to marry. The director was inspired to get this lesser known story out there. It's a powerful short that's nominated for an Oscar this year and will hopefully bring more awareness to this. I'm inspired by this director bringing voice to this.

Happy International Women's Day!

Beth Power

• 6.  RE: International Women's Day Inspiration

Posted 03-14-2022 15:20
    @Beth Power I appreciate your "unconventional" approach and am definitely going to be checking out those resources. Thanks for sharing!

My favorite women power "team" at the moment is Dr. Jane Goodall and Greta Thunberg. (They aren't actually working together but I personally see Greta with that same inspired and driven spirit that Jane had when she was starting out). Jane Goodall was considered a trailblazer for her time (even if a lot of the techniques/practices she implemented are no longer endorsed today) she set the stage for women to contribute to the environmental sciences without necessarily being traditionally qualified to do so. Greta being so young has had a major impact on bringing awareness to climate change. They are both inspirational in their own ways and using their own methods. 

I am also blown away by the younger generation of activists who are taking matters into their own hands like Greta Thunberg, Malala Yousafzai, and X (Emma) Gonzalez. They remind me that women's (and many issues) still require those trailblazers to continue making progress. Our world is far from being equitable. 

One final thing I wanted to mention is that in the United States I feel like International Women's Day is not celebrated as it is in other countries. In speaking with my Chinese mother-in-law we realized that in the US, Mother's Day is really a day when women are celebrated. We agreed that this is too bad because not all women are mothers. I wish the US would really look to how other countries celebrate women on 8 March and take a more inclusive approach.

Alison Randall
    Chicago IL

• 7.  RE: International Women's Day Inspiration

Posted 03-14-2022 15:47
    Thanks @Brianne Haxton for your mention. For a small country, New Zealand punches above it's weight re Women leaders. We have had a number of woman Prime Ministers (PM). Two of the most noted are Helen Clark & currently Jacinda Ardern.
    Former PM ​Helen Clark was also the Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme 2009-2017 & spends a lot of her time helping to empower woman. She certainly has paved the way for other woman to step up & lead, even if you didn't vote for her. From her published book "Woman Equality Power" have copied a couple of quotes, that I thought you might like to read.
    'If more issues of importance to women are to rise to the top of political, legislative and budget priorities, more women must sit at the top tables . . . Women must be drivers of development - not just passive beneficiaries of plans designed by others.' HELEN CLARK ONZ

'Helen Clark often said, and continues to say, that having women in leadership positions not only sends a powerful message to other women but also changes societies' perceptions of gender roles and encourages girls to believe that no door is closed to them.' JACINDA ARDERN, PRIME MINISTER OF NEW ZEALAND

As for our current PM Jacinda Ardern, she is doing lots of great things from an overseas point of view, but must admit she is missing some key factors here at home. Her overseas profile is second to none, but not quite the case here in New Zealand., as losing her "Golden Girl" status very quickly. 

Sorry for long message, but hope it gives you a little picture of another country, even if very small....lol..

Leanne Jaggs

• 8.  RE: International Women's Day Inspiration

Posted 03-20-2022 18:00
    Edited by Quinn Drew 03-20-2022 18:00
    @Brianne Haxton, I was  also inspired by @Sara Tetzloff's blog post and created this bingo card out of her ​tips. I feel like they're great reminders throughout the year. Thanks, Sara!!

Stay awesome,
    Quinn