Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The difference between hearing and listening

Posted 10-04-2021 09:08
    Good Monday morning, everyone!

I usually start any day reading an article  or blog post on some business topic that's interesting to me.  As a change professional and facilitator, I am partial to articles that talk about how people behave and respond in different situations  because it's people who get things done, not plans.  Today's post caught my eye and I thought I'd put it out there for everyone to consider and comment.

"The difference between hearing and listening is comprehending. After all, knowledge is what you know, wisdom is acknowledging what you don't know. Listen, learn, and then lead."  Gary Burnison, Korn Ferry

Read the post here:
    https://www.kornferry.com/insights/this-week-in-leadership/the-difference-between-hearing-and-listening

Have a great week, everyone.

------------------------------
    CMW
    Colette Martin-Wilde

• 2.  RE: The difference between hearing and listening

Posted 10-15-2021 12:14
    @Colette Martin-Wilde thanks for sharing this article. Just based on the title I thought the topic may focus more on active listening and how people seem to be tuned out and/or multi tasking during virtual meetings.

I very much look forward to the day when we are back to having in person meetings and don't need to remind people that they are "on mute", but I worry about what our return to the office will look like. I've noticed during the majority of my calls with more than three people that folks are distracted. When they are called upon they always have to apologize and ask for the question to be repeated. It's obvious they are working on other things and it's frustrating as someone who primarily facilitates meetings. 

I'll be the first to admit that it's nice to be able to tune out of some meetings and feel productive by working on something else if the topic at hand truly doesn't apply, but you need to be able to tune back in when that topic has passed. I'm worried about my own ability to adjust back to in person meetings or even hybrid meetings. Will my work productivity go down because now I am not able to multi task with two screens constantly? Will I have more productive meetings because everyone (including myself) will be more focused and present?

I'm curious to know if others have similar concerns?

Alison Randall