Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

• 1.  Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-05-2022 12:41

Happy New Year, all! I have a mild case of childhood angst that's resurfacing for me with the release of Steven Spielberg's remake of "West Side Story." Growing up in the 1970s, there wasn't a person my parents introduced me to who didn't immediately belt out "Maria, I've just met a girl named Maria, and suddenly that name, will never be the same to me…" That was by far the most sung-to-me-song of my childhood and early adult years – and I HATED it! I felt so singled out when adults I didn't even know sang an icky love song to me! Even my mom sang it to me ALL THE TIME! LOL!

And then I also had a few friends who liked to torture me with "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" from "The Sound of Music" and "Take a Letter, Maria" by (I had to look this up) R.B. Greaves. Suffice to say, I'm older and wiser and now believe the masterpiece music of Leonard Bernstein and (most of) the Stephen Sondheim lyrics from "West Side Story" are beyond brilliant. The score is my all-time favorite now. But, wow, it took me a LONG time to get over those scars of my childhood. So, I ask you, were any songs directed at you ad nauseum for whatever reason: your name is in it, a nickname, or some other reason? Or is it just me?! Would love to hear some other it's-my-name song "horror" stories! 😊     

------------------------------
    Maria Mooshil

• 2.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-06-2022 08:54
    No horror story, sorry, just more Broadway.  😊 My mom used to sing "Once in Love With Amy" to me. It's from an obscure musical called "Where's Charley?" that starred Ray Bolger (known for playing Scarecrow in "The Wizard of Oz.") I still really like the song! (Especially the Dean Martin version.)

Amy Finkelstein

• 3.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-06-2022 09:04
    I don't know that one, @Amy Finkelstein or at least I don't think I do. Will have to look it and give it a listen. :) ​

Maria Mooshil

• 4.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-06-2022 12:46
    I'm wondering if @Amy Hopkins has a similar experience?​​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 5.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-06-2022 12:51
    @Quinn Drew I sure enough do have that similar experience! (I've had the "Once in Love With Amy" song sung at me by fellow theater majors). Mine growing up was my dad irritating me with "Aimee" by Pure Prairie League. As I've grown, I've embraced and now love the song. I'm also a massive Sondheim geek, so when I discovered "Multitudes of Amys", a song cut from Company, I was all about it​.

Amy Hopkins

• 6.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-06-2022 12:54
    This is awesome, @Amy Hopkins.

What a great thread, @Maria Mooshil. I smell a Spotify playlist coming soon. ;) ​​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 7.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-07-2022 10:59

And I really dislike being called Jenny. 

But, fun fact. If you are out of town at a grocery store where you don't have a loyalty card and you use a local area code +867-5309 as your phone number, you will get the loyalty member discount. It's worked every time for me for years. 

Jenn Kimball

• 8.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-07-2022 11:04
    That may  be one of the best life hacks I've ever heard!!

--
    Amy Hopkins
    District Training Chair, 2020-2023
    Co-President-Elect, 2022-23
    Past President, 2019-20

• 9.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-07-2022 13:59
    That's a great tidbit, Jennifer. Will have to try that some time when I'm traveling again.

Separately, when I was a kid, on a lark I checked an album out of the library by some folksy artist named Donovan. My sisters and I were mesmerized by a song on it with the lyrics "Jennifer, juniper." (can't recall the rest of it.)  Have you ever heard of that one, @Jennifer Kimball?​

Maria Mooshil

• 10.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-07-2022 14:45
    I actually have! A teacher in college gave me the lyrics and I thought it was a poem for the longest time. I like the song much more than "Jenny Jenny... who can I turn to..." haha.

Jennifer Kimball

• 11.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-06-2022 12:51
    Edited by Quinn Drew 01-06-2022 12:53
    I changed my first name as an adult, and when I did, my friend Meegs said, "you'll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn."  It was the best.

I'd never known the song, but now it's in a few playlists: 

@Maria Mooshil

• 12.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-06-2022 13:11
    That's so funny, @Quinn Drew! I actually thought about the Might Quinn and you while writing my post. (And a playlist is a great idea!!) And then there's a certain Elvis Costello song that I'm going to guess @Alison Randall has had sung to her once or twice or a thousand times! @Amy Hopkins, I have a niece named Amy and I have to admit that I sing the Pure Prairie League song in my head whenever I see her. But NEVER out loud! haha!

Hope we hear from some more stories. I'm sure there are others out there with names that have been put to song and the world doesn't let you forget it. ​​

Maria Mooshil

• 13.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-06-2022 13:59
    @Maria Mooshil, you and I are living parallel lives when it comes to people singing about Maria! There's also "Maria​​ Maria" by Santana and "Beautiful Maria" by Mambo All-Stars, but my favorite is "Maria" by Blondie.

Like you, the West Side Story song was (by far) the most sung to me. I wouldn't say I hated it, but it was a little tedious when I was a kid and many, many adults would sing it to me and I had no idea what it was!

Maria Liccardo

• 14.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-07-2022 13:12
    Aerosmith's Janie's Got a Gun and Lou Reed's Sweet Jane. Not exactly uplifting tunes but catchy ; )

Jane DeMoss

• 15.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-07-2022 15:00
    Edited by Quinn Drew 01-07-2022 15:04
    Haha, @Jane DeMoss, I would 100% go with "Jane Says" :)

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 16.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-07-2022 20:06
    Look for my next single, "Jane Says..." 

• 17.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-10-2022 09:38
    @Maria Mooshil I actually didn't get a lot of the Elivis Costello song growing up. It was released the year my parents got married though so perhaps there is something to how I was named?!?

I thought it was pretty cool that the Gin Blossom's had a song called Allison Road (albeit with two "L"s in Alison). No one really brought it up though since it wasn't that popular, I was just obsessed and listened to in on repeat.   It's so fun to hear everyone's experiences! There are SO many songs out there.​

Alison Randall

• 18.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-11-2022 10:02
    @Alison Randall Clearly I've crossed the age-divide line! haha! I'm a Declan McManus (Costello's birth name!) fan, and that song (My Aim is True) was popular a few years before I hit college, so whenever my friends and I would meet a girl named Alison, we'd bust out and sing it. I only do that kind of thing in my head nowadays. ;)

And I'm also a big Gin Blossoms fan! I'm well-acquainted with Allison Road! ​Used to listen to New Miserable Experience on drives from New York to Boston when I lived in NYC!

Maria Mooshil

• 19.  RE: Never stop saying…: What songs with your name were sung over and over and over?

Posted 01-13-2022 10:37
    This is a great thread! @Maria Mooshil and @Maria Liccardo, I can see Blondie would beat out how "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" any day. @Jennifer Kimball @Amy Hopkins @Amy Finkelstein @Alison Randall @Quinn Drew @Jane DeMoss, congrats on being part of the "I'm in a song!" club. As a member of the "Dang, there's never a personalized keychain with my name on it" club, I can say pretty confidently that I've never heard my name on the radio. To be fair, I have heard "Brianne" in a song once--  my senior prom date asked me to that dance by singing a goofy song he'd written about me at an open mic night. ​​​​​​​​​​

-Brianne