Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How to remain calm in a Toxic work environment

Posted 04-25-2022 19:58
      |   view attached
    How has everyone been doing and I just want to quickly drop this comment and I will appreciate if everyone can chip in one or two comment and suggestions. My comment might sound like a question but I assure you that it is the best way I could come out with it for now. It goes this way. How do you remain calm in a very negative and toxic work environment?

I work as a correctional officer with the state of Texas and it is a very demanding job as we have to be professional at all times, It is unfortunate that as tough as the job is dealing with the management of convicted inmates, the inmates themselves are not the ones that make the job hard but your own work mate.

I shared my experience working for 3 days on overtime at one of our maximum unit this past week and I will appreciate it if you can spare 5 minutes of your time to read and share your thoughts on it.

Here is the link to the original blog.

https://bayonlearashi.com/how-to-remain-calm-in-a-toxic-work-environment/

------------------------------
    Bayonle Arashi

• 2.  RE: How to remain calm in a Toxic work environment

Posted 04-26-2022 10:22
    Hi, Bayonle. When I read that you're a corrections officer and you were posting about a toxic work environment, I confess that I thought you'd be talking about the people who are incarcerated! But I see that like at many workplaces, you have some co-workers who present a bit of a challenge. Sounds like you're well-equipped to handle them, though, with your positive outlook and purpose-driven attitude. Kudos to you! I know I could use some of that outlook and attitude at times, so thanks for the push.

Maria Mooshil

• 3.  RE: How to remain calm in a Toxic work environment

Posted 04-27-2022 06:21

Thank you for your skills, your ability to remain calm.  I thought about going for a degree in Art Therapy, but when I learned that I might work with people in prison, I was nervous.  This was before I became aware of so many negatives happening in our world. I backed out of the degree  

I applaud your ability to remain calm.  On overtime.  There needs to be more time for all staff for resting time, perhaps some mental healing and time for mindfulness.  We need to trust and believe in our coworkers.  This is important.  I realize that you're not in a standard 9-5 job.  It could be hell, but you used a great mantra, from Michelle Obama.  Healthy workers need to have time for mindfulness or spiritual connections.   This applies to all.

Elizabeth
    Chicago, IL

• 4.  RE: How to remain calm in a Toxic work environment

Posted 04-27-2022 06:31
    @Bayonle Arashi - I remember watching Michelle Obama's speech live, and when she said, "when they go low, we go high," I jumped up from my seat (in my living room), threw my hands in the air, and cheered. It is so simple, and yet so powerful. Such an incredible reminder to stay strong and remain firm in what you know to be right. I wish I could say, "because it always prevails" but sometimes it just doesn't. It's more so "because that always feels like the right thing" and at the end of the day, doing the thing that feels right always helps me sleep better at night.

For me, I think it goes back to the quick quip (that was admittedly more popular several years ago): you do you, boo. We can get ourselves caught up in the drama and emotions of a toxic work envirnoment, or we can focus on what we know we can control: our reactions and behaviors. That's easier sometimes than others, but generally speaking, my go-to strategy, 

Stay awesome,
    Quinn