Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  5 Whys: A Challenge

Posted 11-08-2021 19:07
    Edited by Quinn Drew 11-08-2021 19:09
    Hey'all - @Arnie Grahl just posted this great piece over on the Connect blog: Why We Shouldn't Stop After One Why and it really hit home for me. I hope folks take the time to read through it, but here's a short recap: 

When we come across a problem (personally, professionally, or somewhere in the grey space that lives between the two in the Venn diagram), we tend to ask ourselves "why'd that happen?" This gets us on the right track, because when we learn from our life lessons, we can do better in the future. However, according to The Five Whys technique - we stop short and settle for an answer that is not actually the root of the issue. 

I fully admit that even though I am definitely an over-thinker, I tend to settle for the "why" that comes to me first, rather than digging a little deeper. Reading through this, I see a ton of applications for this methodology: project debriefs to talk about why something went well or didn't, walking myself through a conversation I've had with someone that didn't really "sit" well with me, helping friends and colleagues work through a problem they're having. ​

I'll commit here to asking myself 4 follow-up "why"s the next time I ask myself one. 
    Who's in it with me?

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 2.  RE: 5 Whys: A Challenge

Posted 11-11-2021 09:08
    In healthcare, we use the 5 Whys to identify root causes in an unexpected outcome -- it has been very effective at identifying contributing factors that led to the outcome --- both unexpected negative and positive outcome analysis.  Very helpful and it does take some practice -- but always leads to good results!

Patricia Merryweather-Arges

• 3.  RE: 5 Whys: A Challenge

Posted 11-12-2021 08:13
    Very cool, @Patricia Merryweather-Arges. I like thinking about it especially for unexpected outcomes. Like, "I thought X would happen, but Y happened. Let's get to the bottom of this." Thanks for sharing - I'll keep this in mind the next time this happens for me. :) ​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn