Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

National Happiness Day!!!

• 1.  National Happiness Day!!!

Posted 03-23-2022 15:31
    I just read @Amber Swenor's post inspired by National Happiness Day, Finding Happiness in Everyday Moments, and I just had to share! She starts out by talking about the downfall of living for happiness on the other side of a milestone. This reminded me of a book I recently finished, Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals, where the author talks about that exact thing. We look forward to graduating high school, then graduating college, then getting our first job, then finding a life partner, possibly having kids, and then what? Mid-life crisis? Instead of looking forward to happiness after reaching some point in the future, we can practice happiness right where we are.

"Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest taken between two deep breaths." - Etty Hillesum

I also appreciate the reminder about gratitude. I have a folder in my work email called "Sunshine" where I save emails from my colleagues that make me smile. There's nothing better than taking a spin through the Sunshine folder at the beginning or end of a tough day!

Wondering if @Maria Mooshil or @Sara Tetzloff have any happiness inspirations to share?
    ​​​

------------------------------
    Maria Liccardo

• 2.  RE: National Happiness Day!!!

Posted 03-24-2022 07:36
    Happiness can quite often be found in the little things around us in our daily lives. Watch a bird fly on the gentle breeze. Smile at someone when you pay for something and see a smile in return. Watch children playing and remember when that was you. We all have a daily chance at being happy. Take the chance and then pass it on. Life is truly grand if you make it that way. I heard once that there are no problems or issues, just opportunities for us to move forward on.
    Do you remember "Don't Worry, be Happy".

Rev. Jim Klynman
    Woodstock Ga.

• 3.  RE: National Happiness Day!!!

Posted 03-24-2022 11:39
    @James Klynman thank you for these reminders--especially smiling at someone when you pay for something. A genuine "thank you" can also spread happiness to the people in line around you who see and hear it!

Maria Liccardo

• 4.  RE: National Happiness Day!!!

Posted 03-24-2022 13:00
    A "Sunshine" folder! I love that, @Maria Liccardo! I'll bet your folder is overflowing. :)

Yes, Amber's introduction resonated with me. I try not to live for an event; instead I look forward to it. In my experience, living for these milestones to occur as though they'll transform me inevitably leads to a letdown​ when the party's over. 

When I need some inspiration for happiness, I look to the living things in my life: the Katsura tree, White Pines and birds in my backyard; the deer that traipse through our neighborhood; and, of course, my family! The undercurrent to all that is gratitude, another point in Amber's post. And if it all doesn't make me "happy," then at least these the living things in my life keep me content.

Wish I had something more exciting for a happiness inspiration, but the older I get, the less excitement I need or seek!

Maria Mooshil

• 5.  RE: National Happiness Day!!!

Posted 03-24-2022 16:39
    It seems that every day celebrates something, so love we have a National Happiness Day. Who knew.......

For those that know me, I am one of those people who is generally happy in everything I do. To me, why waste time being grumpy, as you enjoy things more being happy. This can be annoying to some, hubby included....lol..... but we only have one life, so I'm trying to make the most of mine. On saying that, I am also very emotional & do get sad like everyone else. You should see me watching sad movies, as cry like a baby....

I guess I just try to think of all the good things in my life that make me happy. I am lucky to have 2 wonderful kids, who give me joy every day, (plus frustration as a nearly 14 year old boy & 10 year old girl) plus have my parents still with me & family is a huge part of my life.

I am also a Rotarian & have been since I was 27 years old. Never one to wait, & do like challenging the status quo. Was a District Governor at age 38 with our baby boy who was 18 months old, so very different to many. It was truly a humbling experience, as got to see the good, bad & sometimes ugly during my year. I certainly appreciate more now after doing my year as a District Governor, that is for sure. So being a Rotarian also gives me huge happiness, as we do so many projects & help those in need. I guess that is why I have been a member for 20+ years & still loving it.

So, sorry for the long message, but just loved the topic. Hope everyone is happy & safe where they are in the world. I can be a little happier today, as New Zealand finally opening up to the rest of the world, as our Covid-19 restrictions are lifting........ Might get to travel again in the near future........

Leanne Jaggs

• 6.  RE: National Happiness Day!!!