Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Black History Month Events

Posted 02-09-2022 09:57
    Hi, friends! 

I posted about Chicago Black Restaurant Week last week (don't worry, you haven't missed it - it goes through Feb 20!), and today I came across these two events through the Chicago History Museum: 

I think both look super rad. Here's the info from the Chicago History Museum: 
    "We've partnered with the Black & Brown Comix Arts Festival and the Black Chicago History Forum to present a weekend of programming reflecting on African American history in Chicago through the arts! Enjoy trivia hosted by Shermann "Dilla" Thomas, a LARP museum tour with Ytasha Womack, tours of City on Fire: Chicago 1871 led by Lookingglass Theatre actors, music by JD's Revenge, a comic book workshop with Victor Dandridge of U Cre-8 Comics, and much more. Must be 21+ to attend Friday's FREE mixer. All ages are welcome on Saturday, which is FREE with discount code BHM22 (maximum 4 tickets)."

RSVP for one or both

What else is happening in your area? 

#Blackhistorymonth

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 2.  RE: Black History Month Events

Posted 02-11-2022 07:58
    I have invited people to create and share "book reports" for Black History Month. There is a Google Drive with instructions, resources, and access to projects from last year, but I'm happy to answer any questions as well! 

Elisa Meggs

• 3.  RE: Black History Month Events

Posted 02-15-2022 10:58
    Interested in learning more about @Elisa Meggs's project? I had a moment to talk with her more and put together this blog post: Behind the Scenes: Black History Month Book Reports.

Here's a little preview:

QD: Well that's certainly good news for me. While I'm also someone who loves learning, I'm notoriously bad at finding time to read books. Last question for you before we wrap things up. Are there any lessons you've learned in this process that you want to share with others?

EM: Mostly I'm learning that there are no new lessons, only the time it takes to learn them and make the relevant connections.

​BOOM!

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 4.  RE: Black History Month Events

Posted 02-22-2022 12:12
    I just read @Maureen Vaught's blog post, ​How to Improve Our Understanding of the Black Experience. She listed some interesting resources that I'm going to try. I don't watch much tv, but the description of Insecure was intriguing--both that it's from the perspective of two friends who are women of color, and the production values with attention to lighting and filming black skin. I never considered the different production skills required to expertly film different skin tones...this could be a good mini research project for me that turns into a book report as described by @Elisa Meggs!​

Maria Liccardo