Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Have you ever adopted a shelter pet? Life would NOT be the same without mine and I'll be celebrating them on April 30th!

Posted 04-26-2022 17:32

There are so many days or months being recognized as national this or that, but one I always look forward to is National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day on April 30th. And yes, I'll be celebrating!

I grew up with all kinds of animals, but none were allowed in the house. Fast forward to when my husband, then boyfriend, gifted me two shelter kittens for my birthday. They lived, traveled and moved with us for almost 19 years. I was devastated to lose my "fur-babies," but determined to open my heart and home, again. 

We currently enjoy the company of three cats, and between them, there are only four eyes but dozens of toes -- and so much love.

HarrieYeti-Boo-Boo-Kitty was in an area shelter as part of a group of animals rescued following a hurricane in Louisiana. She was grown, a bit persnickety, but her one eye and beautiful fluffy coat (thus the Yeti in her name!) drew us in. A few years later, she has become the sweetest kitty and my constant co-worker.

CBGB and Whisky-a-GOGO are sisters and also adopted. We named them after famous music venues, CBGB's in New York City and Whisky-a-GOGO in Los Angeles. 

CBGB is rowdy, like her name-sake, and is polydactyl, meaning she has an extra toe that looks like a thumb. She is able to use it, too! Many pieces of jewelry or pens have disappeared in her presence. Writer Ernest Hemingway had polydactyl cats and we like to believe ours could be related. 

Meanwhile, Whisky-a-GOGO is a punky little girl with her one eye and multiple toes on each paw. I recently counted nine toes on one of her front paws (most cats typically have five toes on their front paws)! She gets the "zoomies," where she runs crazy around the house, at least once a day, and it really does make us laugh out loud. 

That's just a little bit about our wonderful pets, and why we we'll be celebrating them on April 30th. I'd love to hear the story about your adopted pets. And please share a photo, too! 

HarrieYeti-Boo-Boo-Kitty  HarrieYeti-Boo-Boo-Kitty
    CBGB  CBGB
    Whisky-a-GOGO

Whisky-a-GOGO

------------------------------
    Teri Barr

• 2.  RE: Have you ever adopted a shelter pet? Life would NOT be the same without mine and I'll be celebrating them on April 30th!

Posted 04-27-2022 06:41
    @Teri Barr, your cats are ADORABLE!! I love this so much, and I'm looking forward to the thread this creates!

I've had a few shelter pets over the years and loved them all so incredibly hard. Most recently I adopted two kittens, Sirius Black and Hopleaf, who brought me tremendous joy (and total destruction to my things because they were kittens, haha). Sadly, my downstairs neighbors at the time were pretty terrible and didn't like the rambunctiousness of the kittens. They'd pound on their ceiling if the kittens were being too playful/loud/running around, or they'd storm up the stairs and pound on my door to yell at me/them for being loud. (I know, you're probably thinking - but they're kittens, they can't be that loud, right? You're mostly right, but these kittens were chonky and those floors were thin.) Either way, I ended up having to re-home them. And while that was SO sad for me, it was ultimately the right decision for them. I hope they're out there living their best little kitten lives. 

Thankfully I get to see and hang out with @Jean Doan and @Nick Kapling's adopted cats with some regularity and that brings incredible amounts of joy.  And I've got this poster hanging in my living room (courtesy of JD) --

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 3.  RE: Have you ever adopted a shelter pet? Life would NOT be the same without mine and I'll be celebrating them on April 30th!

Posted 05-10-2022 19:27
    Thank you for sharing your story, @Quinn Drew! I'm so sorry your adoption didn't quite work out, but I did actually laugh out loud when you mentioned your neighbors didn't like your rowdy kittens. Ours can sound like horses when they spring around our home! Happy you have friends with pets you can visit and snuggle. It's important!

Teri Barr

• 4.  RE: Have you ever adopted a shelter pet? Life would NOT be the same without mine and I'll be celebrating them on April 30th!

Posted 04-28-2022 08:56
    I love the names of these kitty cats, @Teri Barr and @Quinn Drew! I have no adopted animal stories, as I am allergic to dogs and cats (yes, seriously; and you should see the list of foods I'm allergic to!), but sure wish I could have a cat. And so sorry you had to rehome yours, Quinn! Related to that, many years ago, I lived in a no-pets apartment building​ (an old-school Chicago-style 3-story, 18-unit building) and yet the couple above me got a cat. Although it was probably no more than 12-15 pounds, it constantly sounded like boulders rolling downhill, keeping me awake all night long. I wound up moving out of that building because of the cat thunder!

Maria Mooshil

• 5.  RE: Have you ever adopted a shelter pet? Life would NOT be the same without mine and I'll be celebrating them on April 30th!

Posted 05-10-2022 19:30
    Thank you, @Maria Mooshil! They certainly live up to those names, too. And "cat thunder" is a real thing! ​

Teri Barr

• 6.  RE: Have you ever adopted a shelter pet? Life would NOT be the same without mine and I'll be celebrating them on April 30th!

Posted 04-28-2022 09:19
    @Teri Barr, thank you for introducing this topic! I have reluctantly become completely in love with our rescue cat, Silky (aka, Lemmy Kitmister after the lead singer of Motorhead because her purr is so loud!). I swore that I didn't need another living thing to look after when my kids were in elementary school, but was worn down by my son who started to have social-emotional issues in middle school, and we joked that Silky would be his emotional support animal. She did a pretty good job, but she is a cat, after all. One of the many things I love about her is that she doesn't do anything she doesn't want to.

Now both my kids have moved out for college and ​she is my constant companion and a source of a joy I didn't know was possible!
    Cutest cat ever

Maria Liccardo

• 7.  RE: Have you ever adopted a shelter pet? Life would NOT be the same without mine and I'll be celebrating them on April 30th!

Posted 05-10-2022 19:34
    A pet or pets can be so special! I'm very much with you -- I don't know what I would do without our cats. The house would be too empty and quiet.  Thanks for your comments, @Maria Liccardo! And I love the name, Lemmy  (beautiful kitty, too). I can only imagine the personality that goes along with it... ​

Teri Barr