Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How do you feel about supply chain issues heading into the holidays?

Posted 11-22-2021 14:38

Hello, Connectors! I wonder if anyone is even around this Thanksgiving week?! If you are, I wanted to see if anyone else is finding opportunity in the dire supply chain issues in the U.S. and around the world. Deliveries of consumer electronics, toys, furniture, and more are all affected. That may cause concern for many as we head into the holiday season. But for me, the shortages and delays function as a speed bump on the highway of consumer (over)consumption. I see supply chain issues as something of a blessing – and a call to be more creative with gift-giving. This year, I plan to make more gifts, like decoupage coasters, photo books and baked goods, and even commission local artisan crafts for my family and friends. What steps are you taking this year to skirt any holiday-crushing supply chain issues? 

------------------------------
    Maria Mooshil

• 2.  RE: How do you feel about supply chain issues heading into the holidays?

Posted 11-23-2021 16:02
    @Maria Mooshil, your approach to the holidays is so inspirational! My response to the supply chain issues was to get all my shopping done in advance (two weekends ago), which has definitely reduced my stress level rolling into December. However, I love the idea of making and baking gifts! I could possibly do that next year, I'd need to start thinking of ideas well in advance if I'm going to actually make something. My mom & dad would occasionally get crafty and give me a thoughtful and personally-made gift, and those are the ones I have hung onto!

Maria Liccardo

• 3.  RE: How do you feel about supply chain issues heading into the holidays?

Posted 11-30-2021 09:42
    Being on a different time frame than the majority made it easy. With Chanukah so early this year, my gifts for my family were all bought before Thanksgiving. I felt a little bit of irk that I probably paid more before all the deals started, but being done early also meant I could ignore the deluge of Pre-Black Friday, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Cyber Week, etc. etc. emails. I don't need more stuff for myself, so I can delete them and move on.

Amy Finkelstein

• 4.  RE: How do you feel about supply chain issues heading into the holidays?

Posted 11-30-2021 14:40
    @Amy Finkelstein oh I hear you on The Delight of The Delete. One of the best "gifts" I gave myself in the beginning of 2021 was to take the time to unsubscribe (rather than just delete) emails from stores, venues, newsletters, etc. that I no longer wanted to see in my inbox. It was not a super fun process, but the payout has been marvelous. These last couple of weeks I've noticed that the number of "junk" messages I've been getting has been getting back up there, so I plan to do another round in the beginning of 2022.

@Maria Liccardo and @Maria Mooshil let me know if you need my address for the baked goods. 

... but in seriousness, a couple years back I started donating to organizations I care about on behalf of my friends and family members as gifts. Like, I'll make a donation to PAWS on behalf of my Mom (because she likes animals) and I'll make a donation to the Chicago NPR station on behalf of my Dad (because it was always on in the car when I was growing up). 

Also, I'm trying something new for my partner's birthday (which is coming up in January). Though she's not a part of the Connect community (yet!), I'll keep that one a secret for now. Stay tuned! 

​​​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 5.  RE: How do you feel about supply chain issues heading into the holidays?

Posted 12-01-2021 14:25
    Kudos to you all - you are much more level headed than I am. I've been dealing with the supply chain issues by panic buying everything. I've started to receive multiple deliveries at my door on a daily basis. Normally I am the one shopping the week of Christmas, but I've definitely fallen victim to all the supply chain hype and am now an out of control online shopper. Most of the things I purchased on Black Friday weren't even gifts! Hopefully this will be a 2021 phenomenon. 

I love the idea of making donations in people's honor! I have also been trying to give experiences as opposed to physical objects like memberships to the Chicago Botanic Gardens or Art Institute.

Alison Randall

• 6.  RE: How do you feel about supply chain issues heading into the holidays?

Posted 12-01-2021 15:25
    @Alison Randall - wow, I love the idea of gifting memberships! I've never thought of that before.  Thanks for the idea. :) ​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn