Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Advice from your 80 year old self

Posted 09-16-2021 16:43
    "It's easy to forget how wise we can be. We resist our internal wisdom due to any number of reasons, such as fear, fatigue, or inconvenience. We race through our hyperactive lives, so busy with the details of day-to-day living that we end up feeling disconnected from ourselves and each other. But what's great about the 80-year-old self is that no matter how frantic we get, she is always readily available to us. She is present within each of us, reminding us we can be the best version of ourselves, not through some colossal effort at personal reinvention, but simply by slowing down. We just have to take a moment to pay attention and listen." -Susan O'Malley (from the introduction of her art project)

This post, Advice from My 80-Year-Old-Self, was a delight to read at the end of a long day. I'd encourage you to take a read, and then tell me: what #advice would 80-Year-Old You give to Current You?  

BONUS POINTS if you turn it into an art project. 
    Ready? Go:​

------------------------------
    Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 2.  RE: Advice from your 80 year old self

Posted 09-17-2021 14:19
    Edited by Maria Liccardo 09-17-2021 14:19
    My 80-year-old self would be sick to death of perfectionism, in myself and others. Finding someone who practices the fine art of "good enough" is very eye opening and freeing. I wanted the BONUS POINTS, but I'm no artist, so I decided my art project would be a good time to practice "good enough":
    The words Practice Good Enough

Maria Liccardo

• 3.  RE: Advice from your 80 year old self

Posted 10-15-2021 12:28
    I feel like I could come up with so many of these! Here are two that I think my 80 year old self would shout from the roof tops!

Alison Randall

• 4.  RE: Advice from your 80 year old self

Posted 10-18-2021 08:51
    Those are great @Alison Randall!!!!​

Stay awesome,
    Quinn

• 5.  RE: Advice from your 80 year old self

Posted 10-18-2021 09:15
    @Alison Randall, turning back the clock on paying attention to climate change is a great one. I'm so bummed that the trees in Chicagoland aren't fluorescent yellow, orange, and red right now. They're pretty much green or brown due to lack of rain this summer and warm temps so far this fall. ​

Maria Liccardo